Wedding party duties: Bridesmaids
These girls are an essential part of any traditional wedding, especially when the music starts and they hit the dance floor 🙂
Sometimes just the mention of ‘bridesmaids’ can cause giggling in the background, but they have to be cheerful, helpful and be ready to take on these tasks:
– If the bride asks about helping her with ideas on where to have the wedding, help her with her search and go with her to the different places. It’s a good idea to offer to drive so she can focus on each location.
– Offer to help with pre- wedding tasks. Try to be specific when you volunteer. For example, say, “Would you like me to help you shop for bridesmaid dresses/stuff invitations/pack for the honeymoon?” instead of just, “What can I do?”
Your friend may need help in ordering and choosing decorations and favours, your opinions may be helpful in making decisions to narrow down choices and make sure the decorations are in on time for the wedding, shower and Bachelorette parties.
– It is a major treat to go with the bride when she is shopping for her wedding dress. She may even invite you to be involved in picking out the Bridesmaid Dresses. It is very important to help make sure the dresses are ordered and arrive in enough time for alterations!
– Help plan the Bridal Shower with the Maid of Honour as well as the Bachelorette Party! You should also attend both the bridal shower and Bachelorette party as it is an honour for you to be there and hurtful if you can’t attend unless you have good reason.
– Be a good communicator. Many times information prior to a wedding doesn’t reach everyone. Friends will appreciate confirming plans for each shower and party as well as the wedding day information.
– Attend and help out during the rehearsal dinner. Many times the bride, groom and their families are pre-occupied and forget about things, you can save the day by being supportive.
– Assist the bride in getting into her dress and make-up
– Ask if the bride needs anything (food, water, etc) all the way until the time she is walking down the aisle. She will really appreciate it!
– Be a witness in the signing of the marriage license, which is an honour!
– Assist the guests to their seats and be social prior to the wedding. Guests love to see the bridesmaids and groomsmen out and about.
– If you are single, make sure to mingle and have a great time at the party! It is mandatory to catch the bridal bouquet 🙂
– If you are with your partner, make sure to dance and socialize since it means a lot to the bride and groom (when they have time to sit down) to see their friends having and creating a good time for themselves and the other guests.
– Last, but not least, provide plenty of emotional support during the planning and on the wedding day.
Be beautiful and don’t forget to giggle 🙂